Brett Heeger focuses on transactional corporate and securities matters with a passion for community economic development and social enterprise. He supports a wide range of client companies, leveraging legal tools to support all of their goals: from profit and growth, to impact and inclusion. Brett’s clients come from a range of industries, from food and tech, to real estate, consulting, and financial services.
Brett has substantial experience leading clients through the process of planning for and bringing investment into their companies. From designing and managing friends and family rounds, direct public offerings (DPOs), navigating Regulation A+ and public company compliance, to negotiating venture investments and exit opportunities, Brett prides himself on his ability to work with clients to find the right investment tools and opportunities to position their business for success.
Brett also leads the firm's social enterprise and worker-owned cooperative efforts in Southern California. He has represented multiple cooperatives and members, and regularly presents and advises on legal matters for new and existing co-ops and social-impact minded businesses in Los Angeles. In law school, he co-founded the Community Enterprise Project, a clinical program where students engage in transactional law projects in support of under-served communities across Boston. From 2012 – 2014, Brett led projects and case teams in areas such as not-for-profit organization governance, food truck permitting and development, and urban agriculture.
Brett lives in Los Angeles with his partner, their two sons, and their mostly good dog.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND RECOGNITION
- Finalist Project, Grunin Prize for Law and Social Entrepreneurship, NYU School of Law (2021)
- Law Fellow, Sustainable Economies Law Center (2019-Present)
- Member, Cooperative Professionals Guild
- Member, National Coalition for Community Capital
- Southern California’s Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars,™ as voted by his peers (2020-2022)
- Board Member, Hands4Hope LA Afterschool Program (2017-2019)
- “Role of an Attorney [including Professional Responsibility]” [Co-Author] 2021 California Worker Cooperative Law Practice Guide, Sustainable Economies Law Center, (2021)
- “Community Capital Raising Workbook” [Co-Author] Sustainable Economies Law Center, (forthcoming, 2022)
- “Annotated Long-Form Operating Agreement” [Co-Author] Forming and Operating California Limited Liability Companies, Third Edition, Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB), (2018 Update)
- “Developing a Legal Strategy to Finance Your Cooperative” [CLE Presenter and Materials Author], California Cooperative Conference, California Center for Cooperative Development (April 29-30, 2018)
- “Annotated Short-Form and Single-Member Operating Agreements” [Update Author], Forming and Operating California Limited Liability Companies, Third Edition, Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB), (2017 Update)
- “Securities Law Matters in Transactions” [CLE Presenter and Materials Author], Business Contracts: Top 11 Most Costly Mistakes, National Business Institute (August 15-16, 2017)
- “Cooking Up Success: The Enterprise Center-CDC and Leveraging the Food Industry for Community Development,” Philadelphia Social Innovations Journal (December 2014)
- “Many Advocates, One Goal: How Lawyers Can Use Community Partnerships to Foster Local Economic Development,” Brett Heeger & Amanda L. Kool, American Bar Association, Community Economic Development Committee Newsletter (Spring 2014)